Myofunctional therapy is a program used to correct the improper function of the tongue and facial muscles used at rest, for chewing and for swallowing.
The goals of myofunctional therapy are:
- Promoting a lip seal.
- Promoting a palatal tongue rest position.
- Promoting a posterior, teeth together swallow
- Facilitating bi-lateral chewing and correct drinking
- Keeping hands and objects away from the face.
- Facilitating nasal breathing.
- Developing a harmonious peri-oral muscle pattern.
- Correcting dysfunctional habit patterns
The objective of incorporating oral myology or myofunctional therapy with orthodontics is to avoid relapse after straightening the teeth. The tongue posture and swallowing pattern guided the teeth and bones all your life so if this pattern is not changed the relapse of the treatment will be imminent.